March 8, 2006

For British Eyes Only...

I finally finished Arrested Development last night, with a feeling of satisfaction and despair. From episode 1, that show was fantastic, and it just kept getting better and better. I just can't believe that's it. How could Fox cancel such a good show? I guess they judge all shows by ratings, but I can't believe a program of such high quality could be cut down in the prime of it's life. Was it too self-referential? Was the humor too sophisticated, over-the-top, or off-beat for mainstream America? What do you guys think? It seems that TV is trying to pull itself out of this downward spiral with the few really good shows that have come about recently, but it keeps getting dragged back down. And what the hell is the deal with this "doing things with celebrities" reality show trend? I don't give two shits about ice skating, why should I care about ice skating with some has-been that was on an obscure TV show in the 80's? Seriously, come on.

Nothing much going on in the personal front, mostly just studying for the MCAT again. I've come to severely dislike standardized tests. How will this determine if I would be a good doctor? I know they need a way to narrow down the number of med-school applicants, but devoting a Saturday to taking a test that I have no idea how to study for and will never feel prepared for irks me on many levels. And it costs $210. Seems like a scam to me.