November 21, 2006

Wow

This has been in the news lately. Comedian (and former Seinfeld star) Michael Richards went on a bit of a racist tirade recently. When I first heard this news, I assumed that the media and PC society were just giving him a hard time. While it is never really acceptable to use the so called "n-word," I don't think that every person who ever said it is absolutely racist. Yes, something said in anger probably has a basis in genuine belief. But I think being racist is much more pervasive than losing one's temper with an individual who exemplifies the most annoying stereotypes of his or her race and reacting with a racial epithet. Again, it doesn't excuse it. But I think that being racist requires more pervasive personal belief.

Then I saw this video. It's pretty clear that it didn't just slip out. I think it might be fair to characterize this as racist. He had more than one chance to back off, and he didn't.



He apologized on Letterman. And it was really awkward. He says "Afro-American" rather than "African American." And the audience keeps laughing, but he seems genuine. Watching it just makes me feel uncomfortable.



Any thoughts?