March 24, 2007

Jim Gaffigan

Last night Oksana and I went to the Ryman to see standup comedian Jim Gaffigan. The show was pretty good. It was a decent mix of new and "classic" material, although perhaps maybe a bit too much older material. The really cool thing about it was that Gaffigan has a personal policy of signing autographs and taking photos after his show. Keep in mind this is the Ryman Auditorium, not exactly a small venue. He waited around at least two hours to meet and greet. (the show itself was less than 90 minutes!). It took me about 1.5 hours to get to him. Even after all that time he was very pleasant, funny, and grateful (he shook my hand and said "thanks for coming out"). He always autographs anything you want him to and takes time to make sure he spells your name right. It was very cool for a celebrity or at least semi-celebrity to be so accessible. He really appreciates his fans and it certainly doesn't hurt him to have a merchandise table near so that you can buy something to get autographed (but you don't have to). Here is a NY Times article about his meet and greets. (use klausnyt6 as the username and ciaociao as the pw if you aren't registered)

Here are my photos from the evening:


I was waiting in line here.


This is my photo with him. He always adlibs his pose.


Here is my autographed ticket and hot pocket box. If you are confused about the hot pocket reference, see below.

Who is Jim Gaffigan? Aside from being a stand-up comedian, he has appeared in several Sierra Mist commercials. Below is his most well known bit, "Hot Pockets." Below that is one of my favorites "The Case Against Cinnebon." Enjoy. After that, several of his Sierra Mist commercials (the first one I just saw for the first time and is absolutely hilarious). After that, one of the "Pale Force" cartoons that he does for Late Night with Conan O'Brien. He appears on Conan at least every few weeks. And I think he's involved with their current hornymanatee.com (google it if you don't know what I'm talking about) obsession. He is also on a new TBS show called My Boys. I haven't seen it. Sorry for all the clutter, but I think it is hilarious so I thought I'd share.

(Removed because they were giving me problems loading the page- email me if you want them)