December 5, 2005

An abbreviated sports rant

I know there aren't a ton of sports fans on this blog, but I feel like venting. I guess since many of you are UT fans and alumni, you can enlighten me a bit on this subject:

I don't know if it is just the Titans-fan-and-thus-anti-Colts in me talking, but, Why does everyone say Peyton Manning is so "classy" and "modest"? Case in point:

- On field demeanor. Ever notice that when a play goes wrong, he acts like a 6th grader yelling at the poor fat kid? When someone drops as ball or runs the wrong route, we see Peyton putting up his arms, scowling, and demanding an explanation. No I understand that sometimes it is someone else's fault. Sometimes, though, it is Peyton's fault. Maybe we should consider that all that pre-snap pageantry confuses the offense and thus causes missteps. Who knows. Commentators call this "competitive." I call it "immature." Ever look at Steve McNair when something goes wrong? I'm not saying McNair is HALF as good as Manning, because he's not, but his on field demeanor can teach little Peyton something. McNair may look frustrated, but, unlike Peyton, he doesn't look like he's thinking "Why is everyone but me such a colossal fuck-up?"

- Unsportsmanlike conduct. The colts, under Manning's direction, have adopted a new questionably-fair tactic. I'll preface this by saying that the rules absolutely allow it. Manning like to rush his offense to the snap to force an illegal substitution penalty (too many men) on the defense. Basically he's vying for a free five yard penalty. Yes, it is perfectly legal, but is that the sort of behavior we expect from "professionals"? I might understand it in a close game or on a 4th down, but otherwise it just seems... classless? Immature? Fine, though, it is the defense's fault and they should hustle, I agree. However what he did at the end of the Titans game yesterday really pisses me off. At the end of the first half, the colts took a knee with about 35 seconds left (thus APPARENTLY running the clock out to halftime). When the players (and coaches and officials and everyone else) started walking toward the locker rooms, Manning tries to rush his offense out to run a play and get a cheap touchdown. Mind you, they were leading 14-3 (and eventually won 35-3). There was absolutely nobody who thought their "perfect record" was in danger at this point. He didn't pull it off since even his cronies didn't realize he was that much of a douchebag. The Titans are an awful team this year. Why kick them while they're down? I might understand if there were alot of threats and boasts about the Titans beating the Colts, and a well deserved putting in the place was needed. But no such circumstances existed.

- Interview "modesty" and "classiness" In interviews he is sooooo classy and modest. Has anyone ever heard of false modesty? I don't know if everyone is so stunned by his awesomeness and glory to notice, but he doesn't come across as a particularly genuine person. It is hard to notice someone being disingenuous when all you can think about is how wonderful it would be to filter your coffee through his jock strap. Again, maybe it is just my bias as a Titans fan.

- Manning false royalty. This is more reflected in kid-brother Eli, but the Mannings seem to have a sense of entitlement. They think they are football's royal family. Newsflash, Archie wasn't really that good. Not even top 10 if you ask me. But I honestly don't know much about football history.

That's it. UT/Colts/Manning fans feel free to comment.