February 17, 2007

Conan O'Brien Hates My Homeland

I don't know how many of you regularly watch Late Night with Conan O'Brien, but this is one of my favorite features. I only watch occasionally, but I have managed to catch a couple of these segments. Basically, Conan has made a point to go through every country (alphabetically) and insult it. I've tried to find a complete and authoritative list, but all of them copy or reference this one. Sorry this is a big long, but it was hard enough to narrow it to my top 10. Feel free to comment on any favorites that I missed. Also it appears that I enjoy the really mean spirited ones enough.

These are some of my favorites:

Afghanistan
The bad news is, there's a new article about everyone farming opium.
The good news is, you can't read.

Angola
Hey, call me when your life expectancy catches up with your inflation rate.

Cambodia
How many temples does it take before you guys realize God isn't listening?

Egypt
Where priceless ancient statues and mummies are so close, you can fly to London and see them at the British Museum.

Finland
You've had over 5,000 years of culture, and the world's most famous Finn is still Huckleberry.

Georgia
Where Europe meets Asia and says "Hey, why don't we both dump our crap here?"

Ghana
The 'h' is silent, like a room full of people after you ask "What's worthwhile about Ghana?"

Guatemala
Where the Mayans invented the zero, as in "What are the chances this shirt was made by someone over the age of eight? Zero!"

Italy
The newspapers are reporting a miracle. Apparently, a statue of Mary moved her hand and said, "I just worked harder than 80% of your workforce."

Nigeria
Where children come first... in the draft.

And , as a bonus, what has to be my absolute favorite:

Haiti
You just celebrated two hundred years of independence. Congratulations. Now make a wish and blow out your burning pile of tires.