November 16, 2005

Moot Court Update

So, my partner Aaron and I did advance to the second round of Moot Court. That means that we were one of the top 16 teams out of 79. Our second round of arguments was last night. I was a little nervous, but was fine once I began talking. Our chief justice for the round was the Moot Court Board's chief justice. She is the student in charge of the administration of the competition. She was very tough, asked questions relentlessly, and, unlike the first round, her feedback had a much more constructively critical tone than a praising one. Our adversary team was pretty good. The first guy was extremely smooth, very well spoken, like a seasoned politician. His partner was also very good, just not as smooth.

We found out this morning that NEITHER of our teams advanced to the quarter finals. That surprised me. I thought that they DEFINATELY would and we MIGHT. The 8 teams (16 people) who advanced to the quarter finals automatically get onto next year's moot court board. Then 14 individuals are selected among those not making it to the quarter finals based on the best scores in the first round. I was selected as one of these "at large" Moot Court Board members and the smooth talkin guy from last night was too. Neither of our partners made it.

I have mixed feelings. It is nice to get some genuine recognition. During hiring season, almost all the employers list "Law Review or Moot Court Board preferred" in their hiring criteria. It's considered one of those things that sets a law student apart in skill. It isn't as prestigious as writing for the journal (Law Review), but still quite distinguishing.

Of course, I already have a job, so it won't help me a huge amount unless I decide to interview again next year. It could also be helpful if I decide to leave my firm a few years after law school. Headhunters look for that sort of thing no matter how long a person has been out of law school.

The other crappy thing is now I have to do a bunch of extra work next year. I get a pass/fail credit for it, but it is a significant time committment. I guess I shouldn't complain, though, since I do get a little recognition.