April 21, 2005

Q and A time with Scoot Jerka

Scott: MY official title here at JVC:South is Development/Former Volunteer Coodinator. Mostly, this means that I am in charge of the finances before they go to the office manager for deposit and dispersion. I enter the donations into our huge client database and keep up with the financial breakdowns and percentages per group after each appeal (appeal=letter asking for money seven times yearly). I write, proof and customize the appeals, as well as figure which groups would be most effectively targeted... and therefore, would feel inclined to give more $$... for each appeal.

I work directly under the Executive Director, and I am also in charge of coordinating grant work with her, and keeping in touch/maintaining records/updating information for all of our 1005 former volunteers. Because I wanted to work directly with a non-profit (not a school), I am doing the job of two people for less than 30k/year. Two weeks after I accepted this job, I was offered another similar development job with Rice University for 4k more. But, this place more than make up for the financial difference with the super-flexible hours, very casual dress and overabundance of vacation, retreat and sick time. An decent place to gain experience before graduate school...