October 27, 2005

Job and etc.

Well I finally got a job offer! McCarter & English, my old Jersey firm, called me yesterday to make the offer. I am going to accept it for many reasons. First, I am comfortable with the firm. I worked there almost a year. I know who to call for supplies and who to blame for the crappy water coolers. It is hard to describe, but that that comfort and familiarity can go a long way. Second, this was the only firm that I felt like REALLY wanted me to work for them. One of the parnters I worked for really worked hard to get me the interview and offer. His influence encouraged them to pay for my trip (something they don't usually do for a first interview). He also met with the hiring committee DAILY since my interview and got all kinds of partners and associates that I worked with to write recommendations and call the committee. He told me when I left that he wanted me to come back, and he was telling the truth. I already hacve a great advantage from the fact that I am well respected among the lawyers and staff that know me. The staff had nothing to do with the deciison to bring me on, but it is amazcicng how connections with staff can help a professional be successful. IF any of you are ever in the position to take this advice, heed it: be really nice to your secretary/assistant/grunt workers. They'll appreciate it and look forward to working with you. Anyway, I am exctremely relieved that my job search is over (at least for now).

On another note, I am apprently (unbeknownst to me) featured on vanderbilt law school's website in two photos (one ofjust me one i'm in the background). Go to http://law.vanderbilt.edu andlook at the picture at the top. If it isn't me, refresh. Keep goign until you see me. Once you see me, click the picture to get a description that says "2L Bryan Cantrell takes a break between classes and interviews. Cantrell will likely exchange his backpack for a briefcase after graduation in spring 2007. Virtually all Vanderbilt law graduates are employed within six months after graduation". Cheezy, I know.

Another note. DId you ever wonder why you shouldn't procrastinate 25 page briefs due within 48 hours? I figured it out! Apparently, one's dad might trip over my power cord and knocka glass of water into my keyboard. After 2 hours of dis-assembly and blowdrying, my computer works and my keyboard... mostly works. I currently don't have a backspace (I have to arrow and delete) and the "z" and "x" keys produce an extra "c" . So they come out like this.... xc zc xc zc . Isn't that annoying? Try it with no backspace, then we can talk.

Also I occasionally get attacked by repetitive "b"s. It's all good though since they are ordering me a keyborad that will be in tomorrow. The annoying thing is that this case I am writing about is called "Branzburg" but comes out "Branzcburg". I'm wondering if this is is some cruel karmatic joke involving my first initial.

COmment if you wish, don't blame me for spelling and typos